The person who racially abused Jofra Archer in Mount Maunganui last year has been banned from New Zealand cricket venues for two years.
During England’s first Test against New Zealand, Archer heard the man abusing him as he was walking back to the pavilion after being dismissed. He alerted the authorities, and tweeted about it.
New Zealand Cricket issued a quick statement in response, apologising to Archer and promising further investigation. A complaint was registered with the Tauranga police, who identified the man using CCTV footage, social media and witness interviews. He reportedly confessed to the abuse, and has been issued with a verbal warning for using insulting language.
Archer has said that he heard the slur while batting today.https://t.co/OHb6xppA45
— Wisden (@WisdenCricket) November 25, 2019
The board did not name the man, identifying him only as a 28-year-old from Auckland. If he breaches the conditions of his ban and attended a fixture, he will be removed from the venue and could become subject to further police action, NZC said.
“We’d again like to extend our apologies to Jofra and the England team management for such an unsavoury incident and reiterate once more that this type of behaviour is completely unacceptable,” said NZC spokesperson Anthony Crummy.
“We want to thank the NZ Police for their efforts in identifying the person responsible, and for making it clear that this type of behaviour will not be minimised.”
Crummy said NZC would continue to act against offensive language and behaviour at stadiums. Measures include anti-racism signs and announcements at the ground. Spectators have also been encouraged to use NZC’s text alert system to notify ground security of any anti-social behaviour, including racist taunts and abuse.