Pakistan Information Minister Fawad Chaudhry told reporters in Islamabad that the email threatening the New Zealand cricket team came from India
The New Zealand tour of Pakistan had been abandoned last week after a New Zealand government security alert.
The statement read, “Following an escalation in the New Zealand Government threat levels for Pakistan, and advice from NZC security advisors on the ground, it has been decided the Blackcaps will not continue with the tour. Arrangements are now being made for the team’s departure.”
This was followed by ECB’s withdrawal from a tour of Pakistan next month.
Now, the Pakistan Information Minister has claimed that the original threat to the New Zealand cricket team had arrived via an email from India.
The minister said, “This email was generated from India through a VPN showing the location of Singapore.” He went on to add that the West Indies team, due to tour the nation in December, had been sent a threat as well.
Pakistan had witnessed a drought of international cricket, ever since a terrorist attack on Sri Lankan cricket bus team in 2009. In recent times, though, they saw tours from the likes of Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and South Africa. These cancelled tours have given rise to the fears that the nation will yet again be deprived of cricket in the near future.
Both these cancellations have been met with a strong reaction in Pakistan.
After the cancellation of New Zealand tour, Ramiz Raja had said in a tweet, “Walking out of the tour by taking a unilateral approach on a security threat is very frustrating. Especially when it’s not shared!! Which world is NZ living in?? NZ will hear us at ICC”.
After England’s withdrawal, Ramiz had shared his frustration on his YouTube channel, “This withdrawal was expected. The Western bloc gets together and seeks to back each other. Any decision can be taken based on security threat. New Zealand left without sharing the exact nature of threat they faced.”
Pakistani captain Babar Azam had also tweeted on the withdrawal.
Disappointed, yet again. We have always tried to accommodate the interests of the game but others simply don't. We have come a long way in our cricketing journey and it will only get better with time. We will not only survive but thrive as well. In shaa'Allah. 🇵🇰❤️🏏
— Babar Azam (@babarazam258) September 21, 2021